Saturday 20 February 2010

The worst music genres? Maybe, maybe

Today, the Australian (of all things) webzine Crave is offering its list of the "worst music genres of all time". It has a list of seven items thus:
Most of these genres are very recent terms that one would hope to wait about before actually doing anything to assess them. More than that, I have not heard anything from most of these genres. Nonetheless, what I have heard really is, to be honest, nothing short of dreadful. In most ways the EMO that I have heard is much worse than even 1980s pop metal, because its dense production tends to be more distracting from the sound of the music. So-called "nu-metal" bands like Linkin Park I have heard on Triple M and to be honest they are even worse than EMO groups. My hatred for techno bands like Corona is equally deep.

The problem is that the whole list is focused on an extraordinarily narrow way on a few genres of music, which of themselves cannot be the problem. One could add such genres as
  • teen pop
  • comedy rock (e.g. Presidents of the USA)
  • glam rock (I have never understood why people tolerate the likes of Slade or Gary Glitter)

No comments: