After a bit of diversionary talk with my mother, who was very busy cooking our birthday dinner, Jonjo began to move onto one of his favourite – and least appealing to me – criticisms of me. He said that organist Jennifer Bate, whom he had previously ludicrously called a “cat”:
- had to have “meows” removed from her recordings!
- had to have “purrs” removed from her recordings!
- that she loved to drink milk!
- that she loved Whiskas!
- in an old joke, the the quieter parts of Messiaen organ works were Bate the cat sleeping on the organ!
- was the oldest cat ever known in the world
- At 71 Bate would be almost twice as old as the oldest certified real cat!
- that Jennifer Bate might already be dead and that a cat might be doing the work credited to her!
It would be wonderful for my brother to accept that recordings of Messiaen are played by real humans, but though I never had trouble liking his music and appreciating its uniqueness many people apparently are different and react in an aggressive manner against it. Maybe, maybe, ignoring is better than trying to be rude??