Tuesday 18 November 2008

Why don't they take durability seriously?

After meeting me and accepting my mother's failure to find the receipt that would at least have allowed me to get a replacement for my Sunbeam cappuccino machine, I had a few tantrums but in general behaved better than I usually do when really angered at something like that not going as I want.

My mum suggested I do without a cappuccino machine if it is going to anger me as soon as it fails, and I simply said buy the most expensive one as it will be cheapest in the long run through lasting longer!

My mum and brother both doubted this - and they have reason to assume that a high price means more features rather than decent workmanship - and the on Choice magazine my brother had a look at the available cappuccino machines. You know what: the Sunbeam one I bought was still listed as #1, but there was no discussion of its durability or assembly quality. I imagine that if anyone has had a similar experience to mine then the Sunbeam would go straight from first to last unless other brands often have the same fault as my machine. If that be the case, then my fear that tolerably good workmanship is rapidly becoming more and more unaffordable for the average cappuccino lover must be completely correct. If it is becoming that unaffordable, then the only solution would be a consumer boycott or developing a new brand with decent workmanship at sub-$1000 prices!

If either of those is not possible, then at least we should force consumer magazines like Choice to consider durability and workmanship as at least equal in importance for their recommended buys to any other aspect of the cappuccino machines they review!

No comments: