Thursday 17 September 2009

Expanded Rock Hall ballot

To my considerable surprise, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced last weekend that there would be twelve artists on the 2009/2010 ballot as opposed to the nine placed on the ballots for 2006/2007, 2007/2008 and 2008/2009.

Most commentators on the Rock Hall have welcomed this decision, and I do too, at least if the judges have even a reasonable ability to judge what is important in rock history and what is not.

Let us now go back to my June prediction for the 2009/2010 ballot and look at the "Bubbling Under" artists. If you read my comment here, you will see I had
  1. The Stooges
  2. Donna Summer
  3. Deep Purple
  4. Yes
in my "bubbling under" list and I think those four do have a strong chance of filling places. I still have a question mark over how the Nominating Committee will view the Stooges after seven failed inductions, even though Future Rock Legends said I was predicting Randy Newman (my suggested replacement for the Stooges), the Meters and Dick Dale "at my own risk". I have pointed out the theory on which this is based, though, and I don't feel I have enough evidence to discard it.

When we move onto my own "bubbling under" candidates, I can currently see strong possibilities in
  1. The Hollies, who have been much hyped and certainly possess the popular credentials and reputation on classic-hits radio
  2. T. Rex, whose importance in the protopunk glam movement and their recognisable hit "Get It On" should make them a chance
  3. The Sugarhill Gang, who with rap coming into its own might be rated the best chance of my "bubbling under" artists.

No comments: