Friday 11 January 2008

Dinner with Elaine and Uncle Peter

These last few days my uncle, Peter Atkin and his wife Elaine have been down in Melbourne.

I had dinner out with them tonight and tried to talk to them, but my mum said I was very bad and that I talked too much about

- astrology
- extremist politics
- my mass

She also says I need to be able to listen to what other people want to talk about and not to butt in all the time when they are having a conversation. Often I will finish someone else's question when it is obvious what the last few words will be.

I often find that subjects I do not think will interest me actually give me more interest than I expect. I feel it is purely the urge to talk about what I read quietly without anybody else to accompany me that makes me butt in so often. I really have to learn that much of what I talk about is of very little interest to most people.

No comments: