Saturday 6 December 2008

A giant step back for Sunbeam

It was a pleasant surprise that I was able to get a replacement Sunbeam cappuccino machine for free after it was found the fault was in the pump and that it could not be repaired.

However, I was in for yet another terrible shock on Thursday when after I tried to make a cappuccino with coffee brewed in the replacement machine, steam pressure inside reached such a level that the coffee breweing filter was forced out and it went straight into the mug, smashing it in a curious way so that it broke not at the top but at the bottom where the brewing filter hit.

What I suspect this time is that the regulation of steam pressure in my replacement machine is faulty. If this is correct, Sunbeam must have taken the most extraordinary step back in workmanship, and on current trends it seems every machine they make will be defective!

I plan to really question Choice's recommendation of this machine as the best cappuccino machine available, and to make them view workmanship and the most, or one of the most, important issues in evaluating these machines.

No comments: